Following recent changes to government guidance about COVID, the guidance from the Department for Education on Dedicated transport to schools and colleges COVID-19 has been withdrawn.
Suffolk County Council will continue to follow government guidance, including Living with Covid-19 and the updated Department for Transport (DfT) Safer Travel Guidance for Passengers.
Your child should not travel on school transport if they have COVID, a virus or other contagious medical condition.
There is no longer a legal requirement for people with COVID-19 infection to self-isolate. However, if your child has any of the main symptoms of COVID-19 or a positive test result, the public health advice is to stay at home and avoid contact with other people.
There is no longer a legal requirement to wear a face covering.
The government suggests that people continue to wear a face covering in crowded and enclosed spaces where they may come into contact with other people who they do not normally meet.
Public Transport Operators are free to set their own requirements for wearing face coverings on their vehicles. You should check this with the operator of the service your child uses before travelling.
Your child can continue to wear a face covering on school transport if you would like them to.
There are still good practices that can be followed by your child whilst travelling to and from school to help reduce the spread of infections such as:-
- Pupils must carry and show their bus pass to the driver
- When getting on board, pupils must follow all instructions from the driver, and passenger assistant if there is one
- Where windows are open pupils should not close them as they will help increase the airflow through the vehicle
- Pupils should still wash their hands or use hand sanitiser as soon as they get off the vehicle
- The ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’ approach is very important, please ensure your child carries tissues with them on home to school transport.
Download the school travel guidance poster (PDF 816KB)
Suffolk County Council guidance on travelling to school
Page last updated: Monday 14 March 2022